Steamed Yam Cake
500g yam (skinned, diced)
500g rice flour
2 tbsp tapioca flour
5 dried mushrooms (soaked & diced)
2 chinese sausages (diced)
150g pork (diced)
100g dried prawns (soaked, chopped)
100g shallots (sliced)
4 Tbsp cooking oil
1 tsp light soya sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp vetsin
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp five-spice powder (optional)
2 stalks spring onions (diced)
2 fresh red chillies (diced)
1 bunch coriander leaves (cut to 2cm lengths)
Fried shallot crisps
2 tbsp sesame seeds
1. Mix rice flour and tapioca flour with 900ml water. Strain mixture and set aside for 15 minutes.
2. Heat 4 tbsp oil in wok, fry the sliced shallots until golden brown. Remove and set aside for garnishing.
3. In the same oil, stir-fry the chopped dried prawns and sausages until aromatic. Remove half of it for garnishing.
4. Add pork and mushrooms and stir-fry for a while. Add in the yam cubes, seasoning and some water and let simmer for a while. Dish up and set aside.
5. Boil the remaining 900ml of water with 1 tsp salt. When water is boiling, turn off heat immediately. Add in the mixture from (4) and the flour solution and keep on stirring till mixture becomes thick. Pour batter into a greased 23cm steaming tray.
6. Steam mixture over high heat for 45 minutes or until cooked.
7. Whilst still hot, spread remaining fried dried prawns and sausages on top. Garnish with chopped spring onions, chillies and coriander leaves. Sprinkle with lightly toasted sesame seeds and fried shallot crisps.
8. When cold, cut into serving pieces and serve with chilli sauce.