Ang Ku Kueh II
Ingredients for skin:
300g glutinous rice flour
150g sweet potatoes
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp corn oil
250-300ml warm water
1/8 tsp orange red colouring
Banana leaves cut to small circles
300g ground, roasted peanuts
150g caster sugar
some boiled water
1. Mix ground peanuts with sugar and add in some water to make into a paste form. Shape into small round balls of filling for dough.
Method for skin:
1. Steam cut sweet potatoes for 10-15 minutes till cooked and soft. Mash through a wire sieve and set aside.
2. Sieve glutinous rice flour into a mixing bowl. Make a hole in centre of flour and add the sugar, mashed sweet potatoes and corn oil. Add the coloured water a little at a time and mix and knead well until the colouring is even and dough is pliable. If dough is too dry, add a little more water. Knead till dough does not stick to the hands adding more oil if necessary. Let dough rest for 20-30 minutes.
3. Divide dough into equal portions to fit mould and roll each into a round ball. Flatten each ball of dough slightly and add a small ball of filling. Pinch and seal the edges to enclose the filling.
4. Spread some oil over the dough and press into a kueh ku mould. Knock mould lightly to dislodge kueh and place on a piece of banana leaf .
5. Place all the kueh ku in a steamer and steam on high heat for 5 minutes. Remove lid from steamer to let out excess steam. Cover and continue steaming for another 5 minutes.
6. Remove kueh ku from steamer and brush lightly with corn oil to prevent sticking. Cover with banana leaves to keep them soft.