Ingredients for Pulut:
600g glutinous rice
300ml thin coconut milk
150ml thick coconut milk
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 pandan leaves
1. Wash and soak glutinous rice overnight. Drain and place rice in a steaming tray, top with pandan leaves and steam over high heat for 15 minutes.
2. Add 300ml thin coconut milk to steamed rice, mix well and steam for another 10 minutes. Add the thick coconut milk, mix well then sprinkle rice with some blue colouring and steam for a further 5 minutes.
3. Line the bottom of a 28 cm round tray with banana leaf. Transfer steamed rice to tray and press rice down firmly with a piece of banana leaf or a plastic spatula. Steam tray of glutinous rice over boiling water for 15 minutes before adding the custard topping.
450g castor sugar
500ml thick coconut milk
6 level tbsp plain flour
1 level tbsp rice flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp pandan juice
1 tsp apple green colouring
1. Stir eggs with sugar till sugar dissolves and strain into a double boiler.
2. Sift rice flour and plain flour into a big bowl, add coconut milk gradually and mix to a smooth batter then strain into the egg mixture. Add salt, pandan juice and green colouring and stir well.
3. Stir mixture over a pot of boiling water till it coats the back of a wooden spoon. Pour custard onto steamed glutinous rice, cover and steam over moderately high heat for 15 minutes.
4. Reduce heat to low and continue to steam for another 1/2 hour or till a small stick comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the custard. Remove and place tray on a wire rack to cool completely before cutting.