Kueh Lapis Legit
25 egg yolks
5 egg whites
500 gm butter
200 gm sugar
1 tin condensed milk
170 gm plain flour
2 tbsp golden syrup
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp mixed spices
1. Cream butter with condensed milk, vanilla essence, golden syrup & mixed spices till well mixed and set aside.
2. Beat egg yolks with sugar until thick and creamy.
3. Add beaten egg yolk mixture to the creamed butter mixture and mix well. Fold in sieved flour.
4. Beat egg whites with a pinch of cream of tartar till stiff and fold in the mixture.
5. Grease and line an 8″ square tin and preheat tin.
6. For first layer, spread 2 tbsps of mixture in tin and bake in oven 180 degree C for 10-15 mins.
7. For subsequent layers, grill each layer for about 3 mins.
8. When top most layer is completed, cover with a metal tray or a piece of foil and bake for a further 5 mins. It will take longer if the sides are still wet.
9. Turn cake out onto a metal grid and let cool completely before cutting.