Mocca Nut Chiffon
8 egg whites
5 egg yolks
340 gm castor sugar
180 gm plain flour
60 gm corn oil
110 ml hot water
1 rounded dessertsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
l1/2 dessertsp instant coffee
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 oz thinly sliced raw cashewnuts
few sliced red cherries
1. Mix instant coffee with the hot water and leave to cool.
2. Mix 1/2 amount of sugar to the flour, coffee mixture, salt, baking powder, corn oil, vanilla essence and stir mixture till smooth.
3. Add in egg yolks one by one and stir until well mixed.
4. Beat egg whites with remaining amount of sugar until very stiff.
5. Mix the egg yolk mixture to the beaten egg whites and fold till smooth.
6. Pour mixture into an ungreased 9″ tube pan or cake tin and sprinkle top with sliced cashew nuts.
7. Bake in a mod. oven (180 deg C) for first 15 mins. then reduce heat and bake for a further 35 mins.
8. When cake is baked, immediately turn the cake tin plus cake over a cake rack and leave to cool before turning cake out. Frost cake with cocoa frosting and garnish with sliced cherries.
Cocoa Frosting Ingredients:
4 tbsp coarse sugar
28 gm hunkwei flour or green beans flour
300 ml water
1 tsp cocoa powder
1/2 dessertsp agar agar powder
1. Dissolve agar agar powder in 150 ml water.
2. Mix sugar, cocoa powder and hunkwei powder with 150 ml water and stir till smooth.
3. Pour all ingredients together into a pot and bring to the boil, stirring every now and then until well mixed.
4. When mixture bubbles, remove from heat and add in vanilla essence.