Bak Kut Teh
1 kg pork ribs, cut into pieces
2 litres water
1 whole garlic bulb
2 pieces sugar cane (about 10 cm long)
few pieces yoke chok (Solomon’s Seal)
2 slices Kum Chor (Licorice Root)
1 tbsp Kei Chee (Medlar Seeds)
1 piece star anise
2 cm piece cinnamon stick
2 tsp crushed peppercorns
1 stalk coriander leaves, chopped
1 fresh red chilli
1 tbsp light soya sauce
1 tbsp dark soya sauce
1 tsp salt
Dipping Sauce for Meat:
5 fresh red chillies, finely sliced
2 tbsp good quality dark soya sauce
1. Boil pork ribs in a pot of water for 5 minutes. Rinse to remove scum.
2. Scrub skin of sugar cane pieces, wash and cut into halves. Rinse garlic bulb, medlar seeds and Solomon’s seal.
3. Bring 2 litres of water to a boil. Add the pork ribs, sugar cane, garlic bulb, licorice root, medlar seeds, Solomon’s seal and spices. Add dark soya sauce and bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Lower flame and simmer for 1 hour or until meat is tender. Add the red chilli (if used).
4. Add light soya sauce and salt according to taste.
5. Sprinkle soup with some chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.