Balinese Fried Chicken
6 pieces large chicken thighs
2 cups coconut milk
2 tbsp fried coriander seeds, crushed
2 stalks serai, crushed
2″ piece lengkuas, crushed
150g gula melaka
1 tbsp assam paste
1 tsp five-spice powder
1 tsp vesop
3 tsp salt
1. Boil chicken thighs with all the other ingredients for 15 minutes. Remove chicken thighs and drain. Sieve gravy and use it for making the sambal for the fried chicken.
2. Deep fry chicken thighs for 2 to 5 minutes or till chicken is brown and cooked. Serve with sambal.
Ingredients for Sambal:
40 dried red chillies or 2 tbsp chilli paste
4 cloves garlic
1/2 square piece belachan
1. Blend shallots, garlic and belachan together.
2. Fry blended ingredients in 1/2 cup oil till fragrant.
3. Add chilli paste and stir-fry over slow fire adding the chicken gravy and fry till cooked and thick. Add salt and sugar to taste.
4. Serve fried chicken with sambal, topped with chilli padi and chopped pineapple.
No comments yet.