Belly Pork With Salt Fish Bones
300g salt fish bones
300g belly pork
4 pieces firm soya bean cakes (tau kua)
1 big piece ginger, smashed
5 cloves garlic, smashed
3 rice bowls water
1. Clean and soak salt fish bones in 3 rice bowls water. Retain water for later use.
2. Blanch belly pork in boiling water. Wash and cut into 3-cm pieces.
3. Cut firm soya bean cakes into quarters.
4. Heat 2 tbsp oil in cooking pot. Saute smashed ginger and garlics till slightly brown and fragrant.
5. Add in pork and stir-fry for a few minutes. Add in the salt fish bones and the water. Bring to a boil.
6. Add in soya bean cakes. Cover pot, reduce heat and simmer till pork is tender. Top up with more water if necessary. (No salt is required as the salt fish water is already salty).
Note: My grandpa used to cook this dish in an earthern pot and it tasted delicious.