Fish Head Curry
1 fish head (about 1 kg)
2 round purple brinjals, quartered
4 pieces tender lady’s fingers
3 tomatoes, quartered
2 sprigs curry leaves
4 green chillies, slit half way lengthwise
5 red chillies, slit half way lengthwise
2 big onions, sliced thinly
2 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
1/2 thumb-size ginger, shredded
1 tbsp mixed curry seeds for fish curry
4 tbsp curry powder for fish + 10 tbsp water
300ml coconut milk
50g tamarind mixed with 300ml water
6 tbsp cooking oil
1-2 tsp salt
2-3 tsp sugar
1 tsp vetsin
1. Wash fish head and drain. Season with salt and vetsin and steam till cooked.
2. Heat oil in wok and fry the curry seeds and shredded ginger till light brown.
3. Add garlic slices and stir-fry for 1/2 minute. Add the sliced onions and fry till soft and transparent.
4. Add the curry paste and 300ml coconut milk. Stir-fry till the oil comes through.
5. Add tomatoes, lady’s fingers, brinjals, curry leaves and chillies.
6. Add the tamarind juice, vetsin, salt and sugar and continue to cook over a low heat. If gravy is too thick, add a little more water and let simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Add the steamed fish head, cover wok and let simmer till cooked.