Fried Mee Siam
1 packet vermicelli (bee hoon)
500g bean sprouts (taugeh)
100g chives (koo chai), cut into sections
2 pieces firm soya beancurd (tau kwa)
20 limes, squeeze for juice
6 eggs, beaten
10 tbsp cooking oil
Ingredients to pound:
150g dried prawns, soaked
7 cloves garlic
7 tbsp preserved soya beans (taucheo)
1 tbsp belachan
3 tbsp chilli paste
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vetsin
1. Soak vermicelli in cold water for 1 hour. Scald with boiling water and drain.
2. Boil a pot of water, add a little oil. When water is boiling, scald the taugeh and drain.
3. Pound dried prawns, taucheo, garlic, shallots and belachan. Add the chilli paste.
4. Cut tau kwa into small strips and fry till slightly brown.
5. Beat the eggs with a pinch of salt and fry into a large omelette. Cut into shreds for garnishing.
6. Heat up the 10 tbsp of oil and fry the pounded ingredients until fragrant.
7. Add in the taugeh and stir-fry for a while. Add in the vermicelli and seasoning. Sprinkle with some water and add lime juice. Adjust seasoning according to taste. Stir and toss till bee hoon is soft and cooked.
8. Dish up and garnish with fried tau kwa strips, chinese chives and shredded egg omelette.