Green Bean With Glutinous Rice Porridge
1 rice bowl green beans
1/2 rice bowl glutinous rice
3 slabs raw sugar ‘peen tong’
12 bowls water (3.5 litres)
1 stalk common rue
1. Wash green beans in several changes of water. Pick out the grit and discard spoilt beans. Boil beans for 5 minutes, wash and drain.
2. Wash and soak glutinous rice for 1/2 hour.
3. Boil green beans with 1.5 litres of water for 30 minutes or until beans expand.
4. Add in glutinous rice, common rue or pandan leaves and another 2 litres of boiling water. Boil for another 30 minutes or until beans and glutinous rice are cooked.
5. Add in the ‘peen tong’ or rock sugar and stir occasionally till the sugar dissolves.
Note: Can substitute 5g common Rue (chow chau) with few pandan leaves.