Red Bean Coconut Jelly
100g red beans
1/2 tbsp cornflour + 1 tbsp water
1 x 13g pkt agar agar powder
200g caster sugar
250ml thick coconut milk
2 pandan leaves, knotted
1/8 tsp salt
1. Wash red beans and boil with about 300ml water until beans are tender. Drain and blend into a puree.
2. Boil 750ml water with sugar, agar agar powder and pandan leaves. Stir constantly until sugar and agar agar dissolves.
3. When mixture has boiled, remove pandan leaves and set aside 1 cup for the red bean layer.
4. Add 250 ml of thick coconut milk and a pinch of salt to the remaining mixture and stir well. Divide into two portions and set one portion of coconut agar agar in a rinsed mould. Scratch surface of set agar agar before pouring in the next layer so that the two layers will not separate after they have set.
5. Heat up the clear agar agar, add in the mashed red beans and cornflour solution. Stir well and pour on top of the first layer.
6. Heat up the other portion of the coconut agar agar and pour on top of the red bean layer.
7. Let agar agar set at room temperature before putting in the fridge to chill.