Ku Chai Kueh
Ingredients for Wrapper:
150g tang mien furn (wheat starch)
75g rice flour
a pinch of salt
1. Place sifted tang mien furn, rice flour and salt into a mixing bowl.
2. Boil the water and when boiled pour into the flour and stir quickly to cook the dough.
3. Transfer cooked dough on to table top and knead until smooth and pliable. Cover dough and set aside for 10 minutes.
4. Roll dough out into a long cylinder and divide into about 30 pieces. Flatten one piece of dough and roll out into a circle.
5. Fill each wrapper with a tbsp of filling, fold into a semi circle and seal the edges by pinching the sides together.
6. Place prepared kueh on a greased steamer and steam over high heat for about 10 minutes. Remove from steamer and brush with some shallot oil.
Ingredients for Fillings:
300g lean pork
100g dried shrimps, washed
2 pieces firm beancurd, diced
Few stalks chives
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tbsp cooking oil
1 tsp light soya sauce
1 tsp salt
a dash of pepper
1. Boil lean pork and cut into thin strips. Fry beancurd cubes till light brown and drain.
2. Wipe chives with a kitchen towel and cut into 2 cm lengths. Toss with a tsp of alkaline water to preserve the green colour.
3. Heat oil in wok and fry the chopped garlic and dried prawns till fragrant. Add in pork strips, fried beancurd cubes and seasoning. Add a bit of water and stir fry till almost dry. Add in the chives and and quickly dish up. Leave to cool before using.