Nian Gao With Sweet Potato
20 pieces nian gao
10 pieces sweet potatoes
oil for deep frying
50g plain flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
water (about 1 cup)
1. Cut nian gao into 1/2 cm thick slices. (If the cake is too hard, steam whole cake for 5 minutes before cutting).
2. Wash and skin sweet potato. Cut into halves and then cut into 1/2 cm thick slices as for nian gao.
3. Sift the plain flour, cornflour and baking powder into a mixing bowl. Beat the egg with the sugar for 3 minutes and add to the flour. Blend in the water, a little at a time till enough to form a thick-dripping consistency.
4. Heat wok with 3 rice bowls oil until very hot. Lower flame to medium.
5. Sandwich a piece of sweet potato in between two pieces of nian gao.
6. Dip into the thick batter and carefully drop into hot oil. Deep fry on each side for about 5 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Remove and drain off excess oil.
No comments yet.