Eggplant With Dried Prawn Sambal
4 slender eggplants
5 tbsp cooking oil
juice of 1 lime
Ingredients to blend:
1 heaped tbsp dried prawns
4 fresh red chillies
5 chilli padi
1 clove garlic
1 tsp belachan, toasted
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp light soya sauce
1. Wash eggplants and cut each into 3 pieces across and half lengthwise. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a wok. Put in the eggplants and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally until they are cooked through.
2. Wash and toast dried prawns for 5 minutes. Blend till fine and set aside.
3. Blend the chillies, garlic, shallots, tomatoes and belachan to a fine paste.
4. Heat 3 tbsp cooking oil in wok and stir-fry the blended ingredients over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the dried prawns and stir-fry till cooked and fragrant. Add lime juice and adjust seasoning according to taste. If mixture is dry, add a little water.
5. When mixture is cooked, add in the fried eggplants and stir-fry for a while.