500g beef (topside)
1 cup grated coconut, skinned
2 daun limau purut (kaffir lime leaves)
2 daun kunyit (tumeric leaves)
2 stalks serai, crushed (lemon grass)
2-3 bowls coconut milk
1 tsp tumeric powder
4 tbsp oil
Ingredients to blend:
20 dried chillies or use
1 tbsp chilli powder
5 cloves garlic
2.5 cm piece lengkuas (galangal)
2.5 cm piece ginger
1. Cut beef into big pieces, rinse and and drain. Season with 1 tsp tumeric powder and some salt.
2. Fry grated coconut in a dry pan until brown, then blend till fine.
3. Heat 4 tbsp oil in pan and fry the blended ingredients until well cooked.
4. Add in the leaves, crushed serai and seasoned beef and fry until the oil comes out.
5. Add in the coconut paste and 2 bowls coconut milk. Cover and simmer over low heat until meat is tender and the gravy is thick. (Add a bit more coconut milk if gravy dries up before meat is cooked).
6. Add salt and sugar to taste.