6 large chicken legs, deboned
2 stalks lemon grass, crushed
2 bay leaves (daun salam)
1 tbsp coriander seeds (ketumbar)
1/2 tsp ground cumin (jintan manis)
2 tbsp thick coconut milk
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp cooking oil
Ingredients to grind:
120g lengkuas, peeled and sliced
1 red chilli, seeded
2 cm knob tumeric
4 slices ginger
3 cloves garlic
3 candlenuts (bush keras)
1. Fry coriander seeds over slow fire till fragrant then grind coarsely.
2. Wash chicken and drain well. Prick chicken all over with a fork.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine ground spices with ground cumin, coriander, salt, sugar, coconut milk and crushed serai. Add chicken and mix thoroughly. Leave to marinade for 30 minutes.
4. Grease base of cooking pot with some cooking oil. Arrange chicken in pot, add crushed bay leaves. Cover pot and cook over moderate heat for 8 minutes. Turn chicken over, cover pot and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes or until almost dry. Remove chicken and drain off excess liquid.
5. Grill or roast chicken on high heat, 250 deg C until golden brown on both sides.