300g plain flour
250g brown sugar
200ml thick coconut milk
1 tsp double action baking powder
5 pandan leaves
1. Boil the brown sugar and 50ml water till sugar dissolves. Strain and leave to cool.
2. Pound the pandan leaves and extract the juice.
3. Mix the egg with the thick coconut milk and pandan juice.
4. Mix the shifted flour with the cool sugar solution and mix well, then add in the thick coconut milk mixture.
5. Dissolve the double action baking powder with 2 tbsp of hot water and add to the mixture.
6. Pour mixture into small containers and steam immediately for about 20 minutes.
500ml thick coconut milk
4 pandan leaves, knotted
a pinch of salt
a slice of ginger
1. Stir eggs and sugar together till sugar dissolves.
2. Add half the amount of coconut milk with a pinch of salt to the egg mixture and stir well to mix. Add the ginger and the pandan leaves.
3. Heat mixture in double-boiler over a low heat. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon till the sugar is completely dissolved. Remove the ginger and pandan leaves and strain mixture.
3. Add the other half amount of coconut milk and continue stirring till the mixture is thick and creamy.
4. Wrap lid of double-boiler with a dry tea-towel, cover and steam kaya for 3 hrs over a moderate heat.