500ml thick coconut milk
4 pandan leaves, knotted
a pinch of salt
a slice of ginger
1. Stir eggs and sugar together till sugar dissolves.
2. Add half the amount of coconut milk with a pinch of salt to the egg mixture and stir well to mix. Add the ginger and the pandan leaves.
3. Heat mixture in double-boiler over a low heat. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon till the sugar is completely dissolved. Remove the ginger and pandan leaves and strain mixture.
3. Add the other half amount of coconut milk and continue stirring till the mixture is thick and creamy.
4. Wrap lid of double-boiler with a dry tea-towel, cover and steam kaya for 3 hrs over a moderate heat.