300g glutinous rice flour
few drops of red food colouring
1 packet coloured tapioca flour cubes
4 screwpine leaves
100g ginger, peeled and smashed
200g raw cane sugar
1. Place the glutinous rice flour in a big bowl. Add water bit by bit and knead until it forms a smooth dough. Divide dough into 2 portions. Colour 1 portion of dough with the red food colouring and knead till the dough is evenly coloured.
2. Divide both white and pink doughs into 1.5 cm portions and lightly roll them into balls between the palms. Set aside.
3. Bring 1.5 litre water to a boil. Add the ginger and pandan leaves and boil for 10 to 15 minutes over medium heat. Add sugar and boil till sugar dissolves, remove pandan leaves and ginger.
4. In another pot, bring 1 litre of water to a boil. Drop in the glutinous rice balls and let them boil till they float to the surface. Transfer them with a slotted spoon into the ginger syrup.
5. Drop the coloured tapioca flour cubes into the boiling water and boil till they float to the surface and are cooked through. Remove and drop them into the ginger syrup.
6. Ladle the glutinous rice balls and tapioca cubes together with the ginger syrup into bowls and serve.